One of life’s most consistent things is making decisions. I have a really hard time making decisions. Due to this I had to start coming up with strategies to help myself make these difficult choices. I would like to share them with you. Hopefully it will bring you joy and make your life easier.
- Decide what you want – To make any decision you must decide what matters most to you; no matter how big he question is. It could be on whether to stay home with family or to go out with friends, whether to move out of state or not. Here, I will give you an example. I have been struggling on what jobs to work and what not to work, when to say no to friends so that I can rest for the next day etc. Here are a few decisions that I made on that topic.
- I have to be happy in my choice.
- I wanted the majority, if not all of my weekends off.
- I wanted to avoid working bible study nights.
- Good coworkers/management.
- The work I was doing had to hold to hold a form of importance.
So once you have decided what matters to you move on to the next step so that you know what to do with that information.
- Graphic Organizer – This is something that I was introduced to as an assistant teacher. My mother always called it the pro’s and con’s list. You would get a piece of paper, draw a line down the middle of it and on one side write what you like about the choice and on the other write what you do not like about the choice. So for me I would write on the left what I did not like (worked certain Saturdays) and on the right I would write (great co-workers). Keep working on the list until you have nothing left to put on it (keeping in mind what you want out of this decision). Once you have accomplished this you would make your decision.
- Ask – There is no shame in asking someone that you trust their opinion. I pray about most of my tough decisions, even if they seem petty to me. I also like talking out my tough decisions with my mother. Pick someone who is a voice of reason that you will hear their side, make sure that you do what God leads you to do though.
- Follow through – Make sure to follow through with your decision. This is probably the hardest step of all, I do not always feel as though I have the fortitude to follow through. It is always worth it in the end. So make sure you do it with all of your might.
- Be Happy – Make sure that whatever you choose makes you happy. It is so important to be happy. Stress, disappointment, anger, resentment, they all wear the body and soul down. Stand for what you believe in and what you want.
I hope that this helps you. All of this information has been helpful to me and I hope it is to you as well. God bless!